American Girl's Changes are a Disappointment


     As most of you know, American Girl has been changing their products recently. I am not upset enough to say that I won't continue to buy from American Girl ever again, but I'm seriously considering not buying any more dolls from them EVER.  Don't get me wrong though. I LOVE American Girl. I am so grateful that American girl exists, but I am greatly disappointed in the direction their products are going. I will share some of my thoughts on these changes.

     Change #1: Permanent underwear. Let's just think about this for a moment. American Girl is permanently sewing underwear directly onto the dolls. I certainly wouldn't like that if I was a doll. This kind of bothers me, but not quite that bad. The main reason I disapprove, is because American Girl dolls have been pretty much the same for 30 years. They have had changes over the years, but not as drastic as this. If this was the only change, I might would be OK with this, but there are much more changes.

     Change #2: Squishy vinyl.OK, so this is just plain cheap. Their supposed to be $115 American Girl dolls. Not $10 Barbie dolls. Plus, I thought it was bad if the vinyl got squishy. Like, they would melt. I don't want a melted AG dolls, do you?

     Change #3: Wellie wishers. I am not opposed to Wellie wishers. I don't think I will ever purchase one, but they are super cute! I am a tiny bit disappointed that they retired the Bitty Twins though.

     Change #4: Selling American Girl products at Toys R' Us and Kohls. I am excited, but disappointed. I'm glad for me and all the others who live hours away from an AG store. I'm upset because AG isn't as special anymore. Now, It's everywhere.

     Change #5: New packaging. I'm actually OK with this. It is easier to choose a doll this way, plus you can get to the doll without destroying the box. Sure it isn't the classic AG box, but I'll live.

     Change #6: Zip ties. I don't mind this. I think the dolls head will be on stronger. I haven't had an issue with turning Lea's head.

     Change #7: Tenney and Logan. I am upset that American Girl is coming out with a boy doll. I also don't approve of the new hand molds. They look like Our Generation dolls. American Girl doll's hands have been the same for like 30 years. Why change them now?

     Change #8: Recycling Gabriela. This bothers me. For the first time, American Girl came out with an African American GOTY. This is what we've been wanting for years right? Well, Gabriela isn't a new doll, she Truly Me #46. Although, I do agree with what Amethyst told me "Why have to design a whole new doll when they already have a beautiful one." Gabriela/TM 46 is a beautiful doll. At least she is a GOTY so more people can appreciate her.

    Whew! I think I covered everything. This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree. I just wanted to react to all the changes American Girl has made. In closing, I'd like to say that American Girl is/used to be an amazing company. I am so grateful for all of my wonderful dolls. I have so many memories of American Girl. Without American Girl, I wouldn't be the person I am today Thanks American Girl, for all of the memories.

     Amethyst hasn't shared her opinions with me yet. Maybe she will share in a future post, maybe not.
Bye for now!

Comments