My Guide to Traveling with an AG Doll

If you're reading this, chances are you might want to know how to travel with an American Girl doll. I have many tips I'd like to share and hope they prove to be helpful to someone. I have traveled many times with and without American Girl dolls. I'm also planning a few future trip with AG's as well. Since I have looked for blog posts on packing and traveling with AG's and I have been mostly unsuccessful, (yes, there are MANY AGtube videos, but sometimes, I just prefer reading rather than watching) I thought someone out there might be looking for a post like this. Before I get started, I went to Disney World with Grace and the system that I used is this system. I am glad to say that I did not take too much - I needed everything that I took, nor did I lose anything. And I did not go without- I didn't think "Oh! I wish brought this item!" Shall we start with the tips?

ALWAYS have a packing list.

 I know some of you out there do not make packing lists. (Amethyst) Some say they can remember everything they brought. But when it comes to very tiny and expensive items, it's best not to leave it up to the imperfect memory of a human being.
So, on this packing list, should you put everything you bring on it? Yes, yes you should. I don't mean that you should write every individual item. (ex. Coconut Cutie Outfit right shoe, left shoe, etc.) Instead, you should write the name of the outfit. (ex. Coconut Cutie Outfit, Shimmer and Lace Party Dress, etc.) Check everything off of the packing list. Before you leave a hotel room (or family member's house😁) recheck to be certain you still have everything on the list. Following this method will ensure that you do not lose anything.

Decide which doll to bring.

This could be an easy one! If you only have one doll, you only have one choice. However, if you have multiple (like me!) it gets a bit harder. I like to let each doll get the chance to go on a trip with me at least once. Think about which doll you will miss the most. Consider the doll's hair, dolls like Ivy and Kit are MUCH easier than dolls like Tessa and Lanie. Think about where you're going and which doll personality suits the location best. Narrow it down and if you still can't decide, ask someone else's opinion. Also, consider taking two dolls. If you're going on a month long summer vacation and dolls are a big part of your life, two dolls might be the best option.

Pack LIGHTLY.

This is a bit complicated. Pack lightly, but not too light. You have to know how much is too much. You don't want to under pack, but that is better than over packing. Over packing leads to losing retired items. If you are going somewhere for seven days, don't bring seven tops, bottoms, a shoes. Instead, take say, three tops, two bottoms, and one pair of shoes. You can mix and match these pieces and make a ton of combinations. This is key. Try to take pajamas that are versatile. Most AG PJ tops look like real shirts, so take those PJs. Only take a few accessories for play of photo props. The less you take, the less you'll lose. Trust me, you might want to take Saige's ring, but that's so tiny and alone sells on eBay for $50. So, you must decide what's best to take. Also, be sure to take a wire wig brush.

So, how should you pack your doll and doll accessories?

The way that I think is best is to buy a doll carrier and pack your doll in that. You can find one for around $20 and most of the time this includes a bed or sleeping bag. If you are unable to do buy this, I recommend using a backpack instead. You should pack the clothes and accessories in a suitcase, sized for an AG doll. I found one on (guess where?) eBay for $20, but if you buy off-brand, you can buy one for much cheaper. If you want a cheap alternative, you can buy a pencil case for around a dollar and that works fine. Before leaving, put your doll in the bulkiest outfit. This will be her "travel outfit." She will wear it going to and coming from your destination.

In-Transit

While you're traveling you can take your doll out, but not many of her accessories. Have fun, but be smart. Only one accessory at a time. Much more, and you may lose the items on the plane, car, boat, etc.

What to do once you arrive?

Have fun with your doll. Take good care of her. Change her clothes, brush her hair. Bring a journal and camera so she can document her travels. Take her places, but make sure not to lose her. Don't feel bad if you don't spend as much time with her as you planned to. You might not have time to change her into different clothes every day. Just have fun, with and without you doll. Do not be so careless to forget to recheck your packing list before leaving to go back home.


I hope that you found these tips helpful. If you have any tips for travel, let me know! I'd love to hear from you!
Where do you take your doll?

Comments